District 3 – July 2013

 July 2, 2013

Opened at 7:05 p.m.

Traditions were read by: Diane H.

 3  Officers Were Present

DCM –            Bob M.
Secretary –    Sheila H.
Intergroup –  Mark S.
Treasurer –

4 Groups were present
Sheila H. Lincoln Foxhall Group
Diane H. 60 Minutes Group
Susan M. Women’s Saturday Morning Group
Dave D.  Matt Talbot Group

Secretary’s Report:  Sheila H.; June meeting minutes were approved as read.

Treasurer’s Report:  Darrell W. was not present.

Intergroup Report: Mark S.  (For full details, full report can be found on lincaa.org )

DCM Report: Bob M.
Bob has spoken with the Area 41 Workshop Chair Bob G., and all is a go.  Area 41 Workshop committee will pay for the Rent of the facility for the 4 Corners Workshop and the cost for flyers.

 Old Business:
Mark will meet with Darrell W. on Friday.  The PO Box cost is $60.00 a year if we chose to rent one.

New Business:
The group voted unanimously to rent a PO Box for District 3 and Sheila will look at options for location closest to the district.
4 Corners Workshop Speakers are Trent G., Jim B. and a Panel will be determined later.
The Flyer for the workshop was discussed and will be sent out shortly to DCM’s, Area 41, Central office and Intergroup Website.

 Voting Items for September 2013 Area 41

VOTE: AGENDA ITEM 2013-01-12 #007 Report and Charter

Any literature or service tool, developed in an Area 41 committee that affects AA as a whole, be approved by the Area 41 Committee. Any modification to already approved items would also require approval by the Area 41 Committee.

Original Background:

Often Areas develop their own literature or service tools for use in their Area. Some recent examples within our own Area would be our GSR Orientation Packet, Corrections Power Point, and the CPC Working With Professionals pamphlet/envelopes. At times these projects involve the website and a certain amount of financial investment. Even though a Committee may try their best to come up with items that meet all of A.A. criteria, it seems that when others from outside of the Committee look at it, they see adjustments that need to be made. Some of these are selfadjusting such as limitations put on to the amount of moneys that can be spent and a webmaster who edits what goes onto the website.

Printed literature and other such tangibles, however, have no other builtin check. Although good sponsorship is probably the best way to handle this, our sponsors are not always available while a vote is being taken in a Committee.

There are things that we can and should do at the Area level which do not need to be conference approved that can help the still suffering alcoholic right in our own Area. I have seen some items produced by other Areas that are not conference approved and would like some way to check items that are developed within a Committee before they are used within the Area.  One way might be to send these items to ie. Report and Charter, Finance, Website or Literature to further check the facts etc.  Perhaps this would be a way to find a balance between Concept 3-Right of Discussion and accountability to the Area.

Additional Background:

The Report and Charter committee discussed and reworded this item as such to present for a vote of the Area body. It was submitted and approved by the original presenter prior to presenting to the body for vote.


Area 41 maintain officer and committee checking accounts at one bank.

Original Background:

If all committees and officers had checking accounts at the same bank, trusted servants could use debit cards to access funds no matter where the bank was. It would also be easier to transfer names at the end of a rotation, and the Area Treasurer could make transfers to accounts without writing a check. Research needs conducted to see if it’s logistically and financially feasible to do.

Additional Background:

The Finance Committee held this item in committee for an extended period of time gathering information from banks and discussing it thoroughly. After final review of two bank proposals and considering the advice professionals in banking offered, the Area 41 Finance Committee unanimously recommends this proposal to the Area.

The two banks consulted were in agreement that our current banking procedure is not secure, and Area has a history nearly every rotation of unaccounted funds. It would be nearly impossible for Area funds to be unaccounted for with the proposed system because the Area 41 Treasurer would be on each committee and officer account with access to an on-line view. There would be one Primary Account with the Area 41 General Fund, and 18 Secondary Accounts, one for each Officer and funded Committee Chair. Secondary Accounts would be operated with debit cards specific to the Officer or Committee, with the Committee Chair or Officer holding the debit card. The Area 41 Treasurer could electronically transfer funds between the Primary and Secondary accounts. Treasurer/Finance Chair and the Alternate Delegate would be the signers on the Primary account, with the Treasurer conducting all online activity. There was a wide variation in banking costs to the Area between the two bank proposals. To make this new system work for the Area, we would need to switch banks to the one with the least (zero) charges. A change in Officers and Committee Chairs at rotation would not require opening and closing of new accounts, like the current system does. The current Area 41 budget includes $360 for banking charges, which could be saved.

Under the current system, Officers and Committee Chairs open their own accounts at a bank of their choosing, and the Area 41 Treasurer has to sign on, which sometimes requires physically going to the chosen bank. Banking charges vary from committee to committee. At the end of each rotation, old bank accounts are closed and new ones have to be opened.

Group Reports:

Lincoln Foxhall Group – Sheila H.
The Foxhall group is a weekly speaker meeting; one 10 minute Speaker and one 30 Minute Speaker.  We just elected a new Intergroup rep, her name is Robyn N.  The meeting is going well; attendance is fairly consistent and always carries a good message.

Women’s Saturday Morning Group– Susan M.
The business meeting continues to be quarterly.  The group is going well and this is a good meeting.

60 Minutes Group – Diane H.
Attendance is a little less than usual.  The sound system that was a concern appears to be working properly now, so the issue at the business meeting has been tabled.


Matt Talbot Group – Dave
The meeting is still small, but is going good.

Closed at 8:15 p.m.   Next Meeting will be held August 6, 2013 at 28th and “S” streets 2nd floor at 7:00 pm.