District 3 – March 2013

March 5, 2013
Opened at 7:06 p.m.

Traditions were read by: Bob M..

3 Officers Were Present
DCM – Bob M.
Intergroup – Mark S.
Secretary – Sheila H.

4 Groups were Present
Sheila H. Lincoln Foxhall Group
Diane H. 60 Minutes Group
Dave D. Matt Talbot Group
Susan M. Women’s Saturday Morning Group

Secretary’s Report: Sheila H. February 5, 2013 District 3 Meeting Minutes were approved as read.
Treasurer’s Report: None
Intergroup Report: None, due to there not being a person with the key for the meeting in attendance. The Intergroup meeting for February as a result of not having a key was cancelled.
DCM Report: Bob M. Nothing to report at this time.

Area 41 Assembly Voting Items

VOTE: AGENDA ITEM 2013-01-12 001 Agenda
Select the District(s) to host the 2014 Area 41 Reunion
VOTE: AGENDA ITEM 2013-01-12 002 AGENDA
Area 41 select the location for the 2015-2016 Area 41 Meeting Weekends and Reunions
VOTE: AGENDA ITEM 2013-01-12 003 Agenda
Amend the Area 41 Reunion Guidelines to add the following line to the end of the “Speakers” section: 5 It is suggested that two
hours be scheduled for the Area 41 Delegate’s Report from the General Service Conference, preferably on Saturday afternoon
VOTE: AGENDA ITEM 2013-01-12 004 Archives
Provide funding in the Area 41 Archives Committee budget for 2013 to allow the Area 41 Archivist to attend the National Archives
Workshop in Springfield, IL September 12 – 15, 2013
VOTE: AGENDA ITEM: 2012-01-21 #001a
Area 41 shall approve the following as the method of handling a possible appeal of an Area 41 Standing Committee decision to
“Take no action” on an agenda item.
VOTE: AGENDA ITEM: 2012-01-21 #001b
Approve the proposed Area 41 Service Handbook.

4 Corners Workshop that District 3 will be having will be in the 3rd quarter of 2013 which is July, August and September. Groups are asked for input on Ideas, potential dates to have the workshop and suggestions for a location.

New Business:

District 3 is in need of an alternate DCM. Please discuss this Service opportunity you’re your groups. This position would be for the remainder of 2013. Qualifications for this position are in the Service Handbook.

The 4 Corner Workshop in the 3rd quarter of this year. There was discussion and there was a motion to have District 3 have the 4 Corners workshop with the potential dates of July 20th or September 28th with an approximate time from 10:00 to 2:00. The motion was seconded, this passed unanimously. Some things to consider are other activities that my be held in the area, and potential conflicts with outside activities such as Cornhusker Football.

Area 41 Assembly Voting Items for the March Assembly:

VOTE: AGENDA ITEM 2013-01-12 001 Agenda
Select the District(s) to host the 2014 Area 41 Reunion.

Background: Any district(s) in Area 41 may bid to host the Area 41 Reunion typically held at the same facility as the Area 41
Meetings. The reunion is traditionally held during June.

$86.00 (for single/double/triple/quad occupancy plus applicable taxes)
All meeting room space per event (weekend) $650 – Complimentary 2 room Hospitality Suite
Denny’s Meal Voucher daily for Overnight Guests – Chef’s choice dessert with one Banquet Meal

1st Choice Midtown Holiday Inn Grand Island NE

Room Rate for both years 2015 – 2016
$89.00 Room / $159.00 Suite (for single/double/triple/quad occupancy plus applicable taxes)
All audio/visual equipment at no charge – All meeting room space per event (weekend) fees waived – Complimentary sleeping room for every 40 rooms actualized – 1st five gallons of coffee free (approx $23/gal including tax and gratuity)

Discussion: Cost to the Groups, District and Area. Location of the Area Assemblies affects all of their budgets. There was also discussion about how the location impacts the attendance of the GSR’s that do or would like to attend.

VOTE: AGENDA ITEM 2013-01-12 003 Agenda
Amend the Area 41 Reunion Guidelines to add the following line to the end of the “Speakers” section: 5 It is suggested that two hours be scheduled for the Area 41 Delegate’s Report from the General Service Conference, preferably on Saturday afternoon.

Background: The Area 41 Delegate’s Report is still supposed to be the primary focus of the Area 41 Reunion. For this reason, adequate time for a full report with questions and answers is needed. The Area 41 Reunion Committee needs the flexibility to schedule events so Saturday afternoon is preferred but not suggested.

Discussion: There was discussion that this should always be held Saturday afternoon, as this is the purpose for the Reunion. The background caused some uncertainty.

District Vote: This item Passed 4 For – 0 Against

VOTE: AGENDA ITEM 2013-01-12 004 Archives
Provide funding in the Area 41 Archives Committee budget for 2013 to allow the Area 41 Archivist to attend the National Archives
Workshop in Springfield, IL September 12 – 15, 2013.

Background: Current budget provides funds for the Archives Committee Chairperson or the Area 41 Archivist to attend the National Archives Workshop every two years. The Archives Committee feels that it would greatly benefit the new Archivist with knowledge and skills for his service responsibilities to Area 41. This would be a one-time change to the Area 41 budget.

Discussion: What is the cost for this, it is says that it will affect the budget. If something will affect the budget, there should be mention of by how much, or at least an estimate. This appears to be a necessity.

District Vote This item Passed: 3 For – 1 Against

Minority Voice: There should be a Cost provided if this will be affecting the Area Budget.

VOTE: AGENDA ITEM: 2012-01-21 #001a
Area 41 shall approve the following as the method of handling a possible appeal of an Area 41 Standing Committee decision to “Take no action” on an agenda item.

Non-Emergency Items

1) Non-emergency floor actions are requests to consider agenda items that were resolved in committee by “Take no action”.
2) ONLY an originator of the agenda item can request a nonemergency floor action.
3) The Area 41 Chairperson will ask if there is a motion to permit the floor action. If a motion is made, seconded, and approved, the floor action will be placed on the voting agenda for the next Area 41 Business Meeting and the documentation from the standing committee will be published in the Area 41 newsletter.

Background: The ad-hoc committee that wrote the proposed Area 41 Service Handbook included this section because floor actions are permitted at the General Service Conference. This Report and Charter Committee decided that, since there is no tradition of an Area 41 “right of appeal” of an Area 41 Standing Committee decision, this section must be discussed and approved by Area 41 before it can remain in the proposed Area 41 Service Handbook. If approved, this will remain in the proposed Area 41 Service Handbook as Section VII.B.3.b.; if not, it will be removed.

Discussion: This item has not time limit on when the appeal can be made. This also states that only the originator can appeal. What if this were a group, a district, or another committee? This is not a clear Item.

District Vote This item Failed: 0 For – 4 Against

VOTE: AGENDA ITEM: 2012-01-21 #001b
Approve the proposed Area 41 Service Handbook.

Background: The proposed Area 41 Service Handbook has been in committee for over two years. It has been posted on the Area 41
Website for over one year. It was discussed at an Area 41 Workshop. All questions, comments, and concerns received by the Report
and Charter Committee have been addressed. It is time to approve or reject.

Discussion: Some of the items were changed from the last handbook, but no one saw where these changes were voted on to be changed at area.

District Vote This item Failed: 0 For – 2 Against – 2 Abstained

Group Reports:

60 Minutes Group Diane H. – (Sunday 10:15AM – Lincoln)
The meeting has been doing good with attendance, and the rent has decreased some which is helpful. The group has
elected a new Alternate GSR which is Ken W. (Welcome Ken).

Lincoln Foxhall Group Sheila H. – (Monday 7:30 PM – Lincoln)
The Group is going Well. This is a weekly Speaker meeting with one 10 minute speaker and one 30 minute speaker.
You are bound to hear a good message in our meeting.

Matt Talbot Group Dave D – (Tuesday 5:00 PM – Lincoln)
Meeting attendance has slowly dropped down a bit however we do expect it to go back up soon.

Women’s Saturday Morning Group Susan M. – (Saturday 11:00AM – Lincoln)
The Meeting is going really well with good attendance, we will be having our business meeting soon.

District 3 meeting closed at 8:26 p.m. with the serenity prayer.

Next Meeting will be held April 2, 2013 at 28th and “S” streets 2nd floor (Room 2A) at 7:00 pm.

Posted in District 3